Job Location: Hartford,CT
Category: Information Technology
Industry: Insurance/ Financial Services
Type: Direct Hire
Job Code: WAN ENGINEER
Foundation Partners LLC is a provider of human resource solutions in the fields of technology and engineering. Our clients* range from Fortune 500 to family owned businesses. Our goal with all of our clients remains the same. Our firm seeks to ensure that our client*s Human Capital needs are met not only with technical expertise, but also with respect to the cultural needs (soft skills) that are imperative to preserving a positive work environment necessary to maintain high morale, retention, and productivity.
Foundation Partners offers contract, contract to hire, and direct placement services. Our team streamlines the process of resume review and interviewing for our clients so that they may spend more time on their business. We act as an integral part of our clients* work force management team; in order to minimize the time needed to recruit and hire personnel.
The Network Engineer's role is to ensure the availability and stability of the organization's network infrastructure (voice, data, video, and wireless). The individual will be responsible for planning, designing, and maintaining local area networks (LANs) and wide area networks (WANs) across the organization.
Strategy & Planning
* Determine long term network capacity requirements and short term variances through communication with the Infrastructure and management teams
* Document network topologies , configurations , services and processes for IT and Business consumption
* Develop, implement and maintain policies and procedures for network implementation , usage and disaster recovery
* Develop project specific training plans for IT and Business where necessary
Acquisition & Deployment
* Design and deploy company LANs, WANs, and wireless networks, including firewalls, routers, switches, WiFi access points, VoIP devices, NAC devices, WAN optimisers and other hardware.
* Research network products, services, protocols, and standards to remain abreast of developments in the networking industry
* Evaluate and implement hardware, software and service upgrades.
* Identify, engage and negotiate with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure network products and services
* Configure network devices and services to provide a reliable base to run IT and Business devices and services
* Facilitate the connectivity of network devices , telephony equipment , workstations , servers , SAN environments, other hardware and external services from partner companies
* Monitor network performance and troubleshoot problem areas as needed
* Monitor and test network performance and provide statistics and reports
* Participate in managing all network security solutions
* Practice network asset management, including inventory and documentation
* Perform network device and security audits, and system backups and recovery
* Maintain service and support contracts for all essential network devices
* Conform to Compliance and Change Control procedures
Formal Education & Certification
* University degree in computer science or electrical engineering and/or 5 years equivalent work experience
* Minimum CCNA (routing) certification and partial CCNP (any)
Knowledge & Experience
* Proven experience and success with Cisco centric LAN, WAN, WLAN design and implementation.
* Proven experience with network capacity planning, security principles, and general network management best practices.
* Strong understanding of dynamic routing protocols (BGP, OSPF, EIGRP)
* Firm understanding of Quality of Service/Class of Service from the LAN through the WAN
* Extensive hands-on experience with Cisco network and Windows operating systems
* Solid knowledge of Cisco VoIP telephony systems
* Strong technical knowledge of current network hardware, protocols, and standards
* Extensive network troubleshooting experience.
* Working knowledge of maintenance and monitoring protocols and software
* Competence with testing tools and procedures for voice and data circuits.
* Awareness of data privacy practices and laws.
* Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
* Able to conduct research into networking issues and products as required.
* Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
* Highly self motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
* Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
* Able to effectively prioritize tasks in a high-pressure environment.
* Strong customer service orientation.
* Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
* Flexible to work out of hours and extended hours on occasion
* Generally office based with ability to work from home on occasion
* Mostly desk oriented with occasional cabling , racking and network associated manual labour
* Some travel to company, partner and provider locations